I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. ~Jesus

Monday, September 10, 2012

Purgation


Here is a band that is far-removed from the Christian metal scene. For whatever reason, they just never continued after releasing one EP titled "Realm Of The Dead". Purgation can be described as a mixture of Soundgarden and Black Sabbath... Maybe a little Tool here and there. Interesting band. I wish they had made more stuff because I really like it. I will be honest though. After initially going to their website and seeing how influenced by Sabbath they were, I was a little hesitant about promoting them in any way. I don't know; Sabbath was one of those bands that you should definitely steer clear from as a Christian (coming from a long-time previous fan). With that said, I uncovered an interview somewhere on the internet by the lead singer Ronnie Griffin. Pretty convincing where he stands... The album is also full of great lyrics—mostly doom-type, end of the world, repent stuff, but great nonetheless. If anyone reading this knows what happened to these guys, let me know.  I would like to know what they're up to.


INTERVIEW with Ronnie (singer) that I found on the internet:

Conducted via email in March of 2001. 
 
Thunderline - How would you describe the sound of Purgation to someone who has never heard you? (and what does the name Purgation mean)? 

Ronnie - The music would be described as heavy doom with a dark feel to it that sets the mood for the world we live in today which is pretty dark. The word Purgation means the act of purging which means to cleanse which we know God is going to do to this world sooner or later. 

 
Thunderline - You have a new cd out called "Realm of the Dead" can you tell us a little about that? 

Ronnie - I was listening to David Barton who is a Christian historian and he was talking about our country's founding fathers and he was giving some quotes from one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas McCain, who was talking about hell and he called it "The Regions of Sorrow" and I thought that would be an interesting title for a song and song subject and I got to thinking about all of the people I've talked to over the years about Christianity and being saved and the Bible says that people who aren't saved are spiritually dead and that's what this world is like. It's spiritually dead. In the song I say "and as I look on I begin to see, the despondence hints reality" and what I mean is the lack of response to the Christian message shows that this world is non-acceptant of the message. I decided to give it the title Realm of the Dead to fit what the Bible says about people who don't accept Christ and that is spiritually dead. 

 
Thunderline - What sort of lyrical topics do you cover? 

Ronnie - I like to counter-act what some of the secular bands are saying in their songs which is a total anti-Christ message. It used to be that the earlier metal bands would have topics in their songs about Satan or Satan worship but now it's pure blasphemy towards Christianity and Jesus. That's what the song Eulogy ( part 2 ) is about. It's a counter action towards a secular band's song which is really blasphemous towards Jesus. I don't think it's right that these guys can put down my beliefs and then expect not to get a response to it. I'm not saying that they can't say what they want or say something that might offend someone else's beliefs but they should respect my right to say something about what they say if it offends me. 

 
Thunderline - Do you consider Purgation a "ministry" band? 

Ronnie - Yeah. I'd like to change the world and the only real way to change the world is through Jesus. Music is a good way to get to people. I remember hearing a quote from a musician who said to a law maker, and I quote, " You make the laws and I'll write the songs and I'll rule the world". Not that I want to rule the world but it just shows you how powerful a tool music is. When I first got into music I wanted to be just like the bands I was getting into. So I know music can change people. I know it's not as easy as it sounds but it can be done. 

 
Thunderline - How important do you feel it is to deliver a message within your lyrics? 

Ronnie - It's very important but there are right ways to deliver a message and wrong ways as I've come to find out in the past year. The message is the most important thing in this music. It should be for all Christian bands. I was looking at a secular band's website and it seemed that the most important thing for them to get out was their message. It's a message of new ageism and I think we need to counter-act this kind of thing and I think that our message should be just as important. The music has to be there too though. 

 
Thunderline - Who is the lineup of Purgation? 

Ronnie - Ronnie Griffin - Vocals, Guitar and Bass, Jerry Allnet - Guitar, Peppy Ruiz - Drums 

 
Thunderline - Do you get to play many live shows? 

Ronnie - We're only a studio band at the moment. 

 
Thunderline - If you could go out on our with any band in the world (Christian or secular) who would it be and why? 

Ronnie - I've never really thought about that but it would be great to play with anybody. 

 
Thunderline - What does the future hold for Purgation? 

Ronnie - We hope that this will take off and we can do this full time. There's definitely another CD in the future. 

 
Thunderline - What are you guys' jobs, hobbies, interests outside the band? 

Ronnie - We all work full time day jobs. 

 
Thunderline - Who are some of your influences (or bands you just enjoy listening to)? 

Ronnie - I respect bands like Tool, Black Sabbath and Solace for their musicianship but not for their message. These are the bands that influence me musically but it's hard to enjoy them because of their lyrics. 

 
Thunderline - Final comments? 

Ronnie - Thanks for the interview Norm. It's greatly appreciated and we'd like to invite people to visit our website at www.purgation.com 







3 comments:

  1. Do you know how to get a hold of this release? it's very difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it, but I had to download it somewhere off the internet. I don't know of any physical copies. It's a pretty sweet record...

      Delete
    2. Would you be interested in sharing these songs with me? Its been ages since I last heard this release and would really appreciate hearing them again. The CD is over $30 on ebay. I would be willing to pay for this release but not spending $30 on a compact disc.

      my email is adviseore@gmail.com
      my web site is www.devoutcraziness.com / rippingchords.blogspot.com

      Really appreciate your response! and enjoy your blog.

      Delete